Archive for August, 2013

Interesting bit of information

Posted: August 20, 2013 in books

My dad always seems to have an interesting bit of information every time I see him. On this occasion I was talking to him beside his car, well trying to. It was more like dancing around trying to avoid the wasp that didn’t seem to want to go away πŸ™‚ My little jig spurred on this particular conversation about how bees kill hornets. He told me that if a hornet threatens a bees nest, they gather around it beating their wings creating a 47 degrees Celcius temperature which the hornet cannot withstand and therefore dies. He told me to look it up which I did and the process is actually called ‘thermo-balling’ where up to 500 bees engulf the hornet in a ball and their vibrations increase the temperature high enough to kill the hornet. I’ll leave you the link to the article I read check it out, fascinating stuff πŸ™‚

http://scienceblogs.com/neurophilosophy/2007/09/19/mobs-of-honeybees-kill-hornets-by/

Image

Advertisements

Missing socks

Posted: August 20, 2013 in books

Well I’m partly closer to solving the case of where socks go in the washing machine πŸ™‚ Besides finding the odd sock stuck in bed sheets and pillow cases I regularly find them stuck in my washing machine pump. I always know when that little warning number flashes and the machine refuses to drain, that one of the little buggers is stuck in there! I’ve lost track of how many times I have pulled socks out of the pipe but what I’d like to know is how the hell they get in there in the first place! It’s not like there’s a great big hole where they can slip into πŸ™‚

Posted: August 19, 2013 in books

Image

Animal lovers or money grabbers?

Posted: August 17, 2013 in books

I thought people who chose to work with animals did so because they have a love for them but apparently it seems that money is far more important. I mentioned in a previous post that a close family member was having trouble with her dog, the vet she took it to was going to charge a small fortune for an Xray so she took him to the RSPCA who did charge less but also said that there wasn’t much they could do and the best option was to put him down. Now obviously she didn’t want to do this so it was back to the vet which ended up costing Β£1000 to be told that he has an 80% chance of recovering but a 20% that he will never recover (it was apparently an embolism in his shoulder which has effected his left side) So really she has paid out all that money for nothing. This is why I home treat my dog, when he had kennel cough I used benylin which worked just as well as any pricey treatment a vet would have prescribed. My dog also suffers with allergies but to find out just what causes them it would be costly so I use piriton for the itch and when he cuts himself badly from scratching I use germoline instead of paying out for steroid cream. All of these things I use have been on the advice of the RSPCA, strange I know to use human remedies but equally effective πŸ™‚ So really do people who work with animals do so because they love them? I don’t think so, if you don’t have the money to pay for treatment they will refuse to treat them not forgetting that you are charged for the appointment before you’re even seen!

On the roads

Posted: August 16, 2013 in books

There are all these new fines being introduced for motorists regarding the cycle boxes and hogging the middle lane etc most of which I already avoided anyway but what about rules for the cyclists? I’ve lost track of the amount of times one has swerved in front of me with no warning or cycling painfully slow holding up the traffic causing impatient drivers to overtake dangerously. Not forgetting that they also misuse the cycle boxes, edging forward until they themselves are over the line. Surely new rules and fines should be set out for them also and at the very least create more cycle lanes so they are no longer such an obstruction to the motorists. This would also make them less vulnerable and help to avoid confrontation with angry drivers if they had more of their own lanes.

Our beloved pets

Posted: August 4, 2013 in books

Someone close to me is facing the decision of whether or not to put her dog down. The dog is well loved and treated almost as though one of the kids. Sadly he has nerve damage which has caused loss of use on his left side and is deteriorating rapidly. It is never easy to make the decision but at the end of the day no matter how much we love our pets is it better to be selfish, keeping them by our side while they are in pain and suffering or to do what’s best for them and let them go. I have been in a similar situation with our cat. We had her for fourteen years and she was suffering kidney failure and had slipped into a coma, on the advice of the vet I chose to let her go rather than bring her around for a little longer and continue to watch her suffering. The worst part is the children, they have grown up with the dog and are angry with their parents for even considering putting the dog down as were my own children when I did the same. One day they will realize it was for the best but for now unfortunately she is the bad person and will have to suffer their hatred along with her own heartbreak.

Great review :)

Posted: August 2, 2013 in books

Check out this wonderful review of Twisted Bloodlines πŸ™‚

5.0 out of 5 starsΒ An action packed must read!,Β 2 Aug 2013
ByΒ 
Β 
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from:Β Twisted Bloodlines (Kindle Edition)

Linda Jackson’s Twisted Bloodlines is an action packed book from the very first page to the last.
This is the first instalment to what is set to be, one amazing series.
Set around the life of young Megan and her family, it follows their life’s at a moment of crisis. Haunted by the memories of what happened to her, and hunted by her own father. Megan and her family find themselves embarking on a whole new life. A life which will change them all for ever. But will they be safe? Megan finds herself in the centre of some dark and dangerous events, where the very people who are meant to protect her are the ones trying to bring her harm.
This book will leave you on the edge of your seats and is a must read for all dark fantasy lovers.

Well done Linda, can not wait for the next book πŸ™‚

Β 

Thieves

Posted: August 2, 2013 in books

We all know there are thieves out there and many people suffer under the hands of these people. We are told to keep our belongings out of sight and close to hand but these days they are very cunning. My daughter had her changing bag on the back of the buggy with her Ipod in the side pocket. She was sitting down to eat in Mc Donalds with the pram beside her, shortly after she left she realized that the Ipod was missing. Clearly whoever took it had been watching her movements because there are two side pockets, the other was holding her keys. She was also sitting in a group and had checked the pocket several times during her time in there so they obviously seized their opportunity. She had only just got the Ipod for her birthday the week before but the thing she was mostly angry about is that it contained pictures of my grandson. It contained a password, I don’t know how easy it is these days to get passed that but seriously what a violation to steal from someone especially in such a blatant way. These thieves need to get a life, they will sell it for silly money and not give a second thought to their victims. Truly disgusting people, I would never steal from anyone. If I want something that I can’t afford then I will have to save up for it like a normal person.

Meet the chatcters

Posted: August 2, 2013 in books

Come over to my other blog and check out this post πŸ™‚

http://twistedbloodlines.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/meet-characters.html

Wobbly tooth

Posted: August 2, 2013 in books

Image

Β 

Most children love having a wobbly tooth, sadly not my youngest. Her first tooth that was wobbly ended up being swallowed because she refused to wobble it and it eventually fell out on its own it had been left that long! She was the same with her second tooth, it was so loose that it was literally hanging by a thread. She kept crying saying she wanted it out but refused to let me anywhere near it! I kept telling her to push it with her tongue but she wouldn’t do it, eventually she became so upset by it that we had to break out extreme measures. I really didn’t want to do it this way but I knew taking her to the dentist wasn’t an option and I didn’t want her swallowing a second one so in a team effort my eldest and me held her down on the sofa trying to pull out the tooth. She kept her mouth shut tight but eventually couldn’t help but scream, my eldest only had to push the tooth with her fingertip and out it came and boy did she scream. My son who was out at the time actually heard her screaming from the other side of where we live. He came home because he thought something serious had happened, she was screaming that loud! After about ten minutes she finally calmed down and then asked ‘what happens if I get another wobbly tooth?’ All I know is when she eventually goes on to have children of her own I won’t be with her during labour, my ears are still ringing from her screaming πŸ™‚